A couple of weekends ago, a couple of friends came over for dinner and I wanted to cook a veggie, yet hearty meal. I have a habit of buying things I’m convinced we’ve run out of, despite there being an ever-growing supply at home eg. almond milk, garlic, tomatoes but most especially, sweet potatoes, which you know I love to the moon and back anyway, but here they formed the basis of a lovely meal between friends.
– 2 peeled and diced sweet potatoes
– 600g of freshly chopped tomatoes
– 1 yellow chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
– 1 red onion, diced
– 1 red and yellow pepper, chopped
– 800g red kidney beans
– 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 1/2 tsp cumin
– 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
– 1 large handful of coriander, the leaves separated from the stalks which are roughly chopped
– freshly ground black pepper
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
– As if you were roasting the potatoes, lay them out on a baking tray and sprinkle with half of the smoked paprika, cumin and cinnamon, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, turn them so they’re coated, and put them in the oven.
– In a large pan, add 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and add the onions and peppers, stir for 5 minutes.
– Add in the rest of the spices, the tomatoes and the coriander stalks, leave on a low/medium heat for 10 minutes.
– Stir in the red kidney beans after giving them a quick wash, bring to a boil and then return to a gentle simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and if need be, add a little water.
– During this time, make some guacamole!
– Take our the roasted sweet potatoes and stir them into the chilli with most of the remaining coriander leaves.
Serve with the guacamole and sprinkle a few more leaves on top, enjoy!