I love my lentils, especially the red ones, I first got introduced to them when my mum would make ‘Red Lentil and Red Pepper Tart’, it was always so delicious and filling and has proved to be so in every meal I’ve used with them since that they have become a staple in my home.
I had some a large, left over sweet potato and so I decided to make this warm-coloured meal even more orange with this very filling (there were two servings left over!), and tasty supper.
– 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
– 150g red lentils
– 1/2 red pepper, diced
– 750ml home-made vegetable stock
– 1 red onion, diced
– 1 clove of garlic
– 2tsp chopped, fresh, flat leaf parsley
– 1 1/2tbsp ground cumin
– Juice of 1 lemon
– 1tsp ground turmeric
– 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1/2tsp smoked paprika
– 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
– Freshly ground black pepper and organic sea salt
– In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and cook the onion and garlic until tender.
– Add the pepper, lemon juice, sweet potato and leave to cook on a low to medium heat for 5 minutes.
– Add the lentils, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, stock and season, cover and cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
– Once the lentils are tender, get a hand blender and give the soup a few short pulses.
– Ladle into bowls and serve!
NB: Do not make this in the middle of a heatwave where temperatures reach 39!