As I’m making humous for myself and others on a weekly basis at the moment I am inundated with chickpeas, which is not a bad position to be in at all and allows me to experiment more with their protein-y potential. The ingredients are easily found organic This warm salad is very simple to prepare and perfect for the evenings, as the timings of each element of the dish fit together pretty neatly.
Two of my favourite sets of flavours which go together like RuPaul and wigs are in this salad:
chickpeas and shallots/red onions
salmon and lime.
Which are some of your favourite sets of flavours?
– 400g chick peas, washed
– 1 large tomato, diced
– 1/2 courgette cut into large slices
– 3 shallots, 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
– 1 fillet of salmon
– Halves of green, yellow and red peppers, sliced
– 100g feta, cut into cubes
– 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the dressing
– 100g handful of finely chopped parsley, coriander and mint (tip: when gettin bunches of herbs instead of in plants, put sturdier herbs like mint, rosemary and sage in the freezer to keep them fresh, and keep the flimsier ones eg. coriander, basil, parley, in an air tight container in the fridge so the moisture doesn’t wilt them down)
– Juice of 1/2 lemon
– Juice of 1 lime
– 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– Freshly ground black pepper
– Preheat the oven to 180° (I now have a mini fan oven because despite being the cooking capital of the world, apartments in Paris do not come with an oven as a standard, so I bought a large mini oven, 50 litres, and sod’s law being a sod, it’s too big for the kitchen, despite it being a nicely sized kitchen).
– Shake out your vegetables on the roasting time drizzle the olive oil over, add a few twists of black pepper and roast for 30 minutes.
– While the vegetables are cooking, make up the dressing, in a small bowl mix the lime and lemon juice together before adding in the olive oil and then the herbs, stir quickly with a fork, twist in the black pepper and then rinse again.
– Boil water in a wide pan and add the salmon with the squeezed lime and lemon halves you used for the dressing for 5 minutes until done. Take off the skin and flake.
– In a large bowl, mix the chickpeas, feta cubes and salmon, before taking the roasted vegetables out of the oven and straight into the salad bowl. Stir over the dressing, mix and enjoy!