Let’s not try and outwit the owl here, buckwheat has a very distinctive taste, and it’s not along the same lines as dark chocolate. Of course, living in the land of crêpes and galettes, I’ve had buckwheat with galettes at dinner and it can really compliment the taste of savoury food, but never in breakfasts which tend to be more with fruit and nuts.
Whilst researching gluten-free friendly breakfasts, I stumbled across many variations of buckwheat porridge, one in particular from the very inspiring ‘Deliciously Ella’ so I thought I’d give it a go, put my twist on it and see what this traditionally savoury grain tastes like in a slightly sweeter form. And trust me, even though I’m not completely converted yet, this is very filling!
– 65g buckwheat grains
– 1/4 cup of water
– 1 cup almond milk
– 1tsp cinnamon
– 1 banana
– 1tsp chia seeds
– 1 1/2tbsp shredded coconut
– Small handful of frozen raspberries
– On a low heat, stir the water into the grains and stir until completely absorbed.
– Add half of the almond milk and the banana, stir until nearly absorbed before stirring in the chia seeds.
– Then add the rest of the almond milk, stir in completely and before serving, place the raspberries on top and sprinkle over the cinnamon.
How do you find it?